There are numerous reasons to replace the old windows in your Plano home. Before we dive into the countless benefits of professional window replacement, let us first explore energy efficiency within your home. For instance, did you know that windows are responsible for up to 30% of heat gain and heat loss in your home? It’s true! According to the U.S. Department of Energy, your existing windows may be costing you each month on your energy bill.
Let us explore why you should invest in window replacements in Plano!
Best Reasons to Schedule Window Replacement Today
Over time, you’ll start to notice the windows in your home are decaying, cracked, or letting in cold/warm air constantly. However, knowing when to replace your old windows isn’t so cut-and-dry. A good indication is age. If your windows are more than 15 years old, it’s time to have them inspected and possibly replaced.
Here are few of the top reasons to schedule a window replacement today.
- Energy Efficiency — The reason you’re losing or gaining heat is that most windows are built with single-pan glass. These types of windows let in a draft and impact your energy bills significantly. Today’s new windows are more efficient, with heat-reflecting low-E coatings and argon gas between the panes.
- Noise Reduction — If you have old windows, chances are they’re letting in noise pollution from outside. Today’s windows, which are dual-pane or laminated glass, help reduce outside noise transmission.
- Storm Windows — Many homeowners in the area opt for storm windows to protect against tropical weather and severe thunderstorms. With a strong, double-pane window, you can remove old storm windows and avoid paying for new ones anytime soon.
- Curb Appeal — Whether your plan is to sell your home or because you want a beautiful space, new windows add curb appeal. They improve the look and feel of your home tenfold.
- Safety — We all want to feel safe at home, right? Of course, which is why today’s windows are stronger and lock securely — more so than old windows.
Selecting New Windows for Your Home
When the time comes for window replacement, you’ll have your work cut out for you. First, you need to choose the type of window. There are so many options, including bay windows, bow windows and casement windows. Then, you need their design, energy use, labeling, warranties and installation.
Regarding energy use and labeling, look for the telltale ENERGY STAR label when purchasing windows. After that, review the ratings on the energy performance labels from National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) for efficiency. NFRC ratings are included with all ENERGY STAR certified windows and help you compare products.